Tuesday 9 October 2012

Jimmy Saville

About time the BBC apologised for Jimmy Saville, quite apart from his sexual exploits, but I am struck by the vehemence of some attacks. The baying of the self-justifying ignorant mob as well as the righteous condemnation.

Ignoring the pronouncements of the can't-think-won't-thinks, I've been trying to get my head back to when I started work, late 60s, early 70s. I worked in a big office and it was almost entirely male.

I remember declining one day, late teens, to look at a dirty picture (which might make me sound more correct or virtuous than I was or am) and being told: Why not? We don't want any poofs here.

A woman dj remarked a few days ago that when she objected to being groped she was asked Why not? Are you a lesbian?

I think we were all, males anyway, pretty repulsive.

Men making decisions. Women in the typing pool.

But the intensity of condemnation intrigues me. Something is happening here and I don't know what it is.

No comments: