Thursday 18 October 2012

Me, me

A "meme" is a bit of cultural zeitgeist trapped in the form of bits and pixels, passed along via Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter. says the BBC News magazine in Washington, reported on the BBC website.

Well, no it isn't.

What the post-literate lady is describing is a fashionable idiocy. What she is telling us is what she and perhaps her accomplices in damaging the language think it means.

I'd want the word "idea" in any definition, and I mean more than a passing concatenation of imitated words that make up what we might call her Consciousness Experience.

Mind you, I suppose if your meme is to talk bollocks then her definition works

(Earlier on today I read elsewhere that Travelling is an important part of the Travelling Experience.)

Notice too the use of "zeitgeist".

And when is the zeitgeist not cultural?

No comments: